Skip to main content

It's All About Timing

From very early days here in law school, my fellow 1L's (first year law students) and I heard about the importance of time. As students, we have been learning to manage our time in order to get things done on time. As lawyers, we have been told that we will be tracking our time in fifteen minute intervals for billing clients. I decided that it is never too early to apply and learn career related skills. To that end, over the holiday break, I dug out one of my favorite parenting tools. Here it is:
Yep, it is that magical bit of technology known as a kitchen timer.

When the boys were young, we employed these lovely gadgets in many different ways. Quite often, we would make a game of cleaning up their rooms by setting the timer for fifteen minutes and scrambling to clean up as much as possible in that time. This made a game out of cleaning and it also made it more bearable. Those handy timers also were employed in our school room (we homeschooled). Of course, the timers were also used in cooking class (that is homeschool speak for making dinner). After many years of service, the timers had been languishing unused until this one was returned to service to help me track exactly what I was spending my time doing here at school.

However, I am afraid that my poor timer is going to fall back into disuse since I was introduced to Toggl* this week. In the words of the developer, Toggl is "a simple online timer with a powerful timesheet calculator." Basically, it is a timer on steroids. I am using the free basic version, and it is suitable for my needs. (Although, if you have need of more features, there are other versions which would be suitable for business use). Also, it has the option to mark time as billable which means it will be able to move right into my law office after graduation.

So far, I have tried the web browser, the mobile app, and the desktop app and I like them all. The best part is the graphical displays showing exactly where my time has gone. Here is a screenshot from my phone:
Mobile App Screenshot

As if that wasn't enough, Toggl also incorporates a "game" to help motivate you by unlocking "achievements" for using the program. It is a good thing that I am not competitive...(Hubster, stop rolling your eyes!).


If you are in need of a way to track time, give it a try! It may just suit your purpose.

*Not a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Queen of the Dairy

Did you know that the Dairy Queen Blizzard turned 25 last year?  I remember when the Blizzard was introduced which makes me officially...old.  Anyway, there was no Dairy Queen in the town where I grew up but there was one where my great grandfather lived.  Do you remember when a trip longer than 15 minutes lasted fuh evah?  When I was little, the 65 minute drive to my great grandfather's small town felt like an eternity.  Maybe it felt so long  because  I was hoping for that extremely rare occurrence of a stop at the Dairy Queen.  My parents were teachers  and the budget was always tight, but occasionally we would stop at DQ and we could get a small cone.  We never got to choose--it was always just that small vanilla cone, but it was a treat nonetheless. Once I was able to drive and had a job, those stops at DQ were almost mandatory when I ventured on my own to my grandparents house.  I probably tried something different each time-...

Ferret Friday #13-Property Ferret

This semester, I have been enjoying the Property book selected by our professor. The book was written by John G. Sprankling and Raymond R. Coletta, and I have found the book to be very approachable. I have really enjoyed the interactive elements that make the book quite engaging. The authors seem to have a sense of humor as this line from the preface indicates: "As authors, we own any errors in the text, at least until someone with better title comes along." Instead of making the study of law as painful as possible with archaic language and cases that are difficult to fathom, the authors seem to have sifted through related cases until they found the most interesting ones to illustrate the rules. With many text books this year, I have spent much time flipping through a legal dictionary just to decipher the lesson. So far, that is not the case with this book; the authors have used language that is easy to follow. I am not saying that important legal terms have been left out ...

Can we Talk about Packaging?

     Today, many people (myself included) use ancient chain maille armor techniques to create jewelry. Basically, artisans take small rings made of wire and weave them together in intricate designs. In this way, the ancient weaves are re-imagined for a modern audience. Samples of my work Zili Kit      Although some people take raw wire and create their own rings, many rely on retailers for their needs. From that need, a growing cottage industry has sprung up to supply makers with kits that include all of the rings and instructions for a design. Most of these businesses use very simple packaging for their products. Zipper seal bags with simple printed labels are very common. HyperLynks kit      For companies that are a little larger, heat seal plastic tubing becomes the most common form of packaging. There is one operation that packages per order so that the rings come in a long, unlabeled, sausage-like strip of tubing with a he...