Skip to main content

Queen of the Dairy

Did you know that the Dairy Queen Blizzard turned 25 last year?  I remember when the Blizzard was introduced which makes me officially...old.  Anyway, there was no Dairy Queen in the town where I grew up but there was one where my great grandfather lived.  Do you remember when a trip longer than 15 minutes lasted fuh evah?  When I was little, the 65 minute drive to my great grandfather's small town felt like an eternity.  Maybe it felt so long  because  I was hoping for that extremely rare occurrence of a stop at the Dairy Queen.  My parents were teachers  and the budget was always tight, but occasionally we would stop at DQ and we could get a small cone.  We never got to choose--it was always just that small vanilla cone, but it was a treat nonetheless.
Once I was able to drive and had a job, those stops at DQ were almost mandatory when I ventured on my own to my grandparents house.  I probably tried something different each time--a Peanut Buster Parfait, this time, a Mr. Misty, or Dipped Cone the next.  Then, that fateful summer of '85 I discovered the Blizzard.  From then on, my choice was always the Blizzard.  I still had to choose what flavor but there were plenty of choices.
Then for years, we lived in DQ unmapped territory until last summer when DQ opened a store in our neighborhood.  It has been fun rediscovering all those frosty goodies.  Sometimes revisiting memories of your youth can be disappointing.  In the case of DQ treats, the taste of today meets or exceeds the memory of yesterday.

Comments

  1. I do remember when DQ Blizzards were introduced and I was totally in love with them, particularly one that had chocolate and cherries.

    Once I became a parent, I didn't realize what an important part of childhood that visits to DQ are (we tend to not eat fast food, so DQ isn't on my radar), so it never occurred to me to introduce my children to DQ until two years ago when they asked what it was. We remedied that gaping hole in their educations with a trip to DQ and now go a few times a year. The only thing is, now that I know more about nutrition and have cleaned up my diet of processed foods, Blizzards are ruined for me. They're too sweet and I can practically taste the artificial flavors. So, other than possibly having a sip of one of my daughters' treats, I never have them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a child with Type 1 Diabetes certainly makes me more conscious of responsible eating but that makes a treat even more special.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my little piece of the web. I look forward to reading what you have to say!

Popular posts from this blog

Ferret Friday #13-Property Ferret

This semester, I have been enjoying the Property book selected by our professor. The book was written by John G. Sprankling and Raymond R. Coletta, and I have found the book to be very approachable. I have really enjoyed the interactive elements that make the book quite engaging. The authors seem to have a sense of humor as this line from the preface indicates: "As authors, we own any errors in the text, at least until someone with better title comes along." Instead of making the study of law as painful as possible with archaic language and cases that are difficult to fathom, the authors seem to have sifted through related cases until they found the most interesting ones to illustrate the rules. With many text books this year, I have spent much time flipping through a legal dictionary just to decipher the lesson. So far, that is not the case with this book; the authors have used language that is easy to follow. I am not saying that important legal terms have been left out ...

Can we Talk about Packaging?

     Today, many people (myself included) use ancient chain maille armor techniques to create jewelry. Basically, artisans take small rings made of wire and weave them together in intricate designs. In this way, the ancient weaves are re-imagined for a modern audience. Samples of my work Zili Kit      Although some people take raw wire and create their own rings, many rely on retailers for their needs. From that need, a growing cottage industry has sprung up to supply makers with kits that include all of the rings and instructions for a design. Most of these businesses use very simple packaging for their products. Zipper seal bags with simple printed labels are very common. HyperLynks kit      For companies that are a little larger, heat seal plastic tubing becomes the most common form of packaging. There is one operation that packages per order so that the rings come in a long, unlabeled, sausage-like strip of tubing with a he...