Skip to main content

CiteBlue

I have been enjoying participating in the MSU College of Law Social Media Contest. I have learned (and am still learning) a lot. Because of my activity, I have been able to connect with organizations and people that I would never have come across without social media. For this introvert, it has been like opening a whole new world. (I know, most people would never guess that I am an introvert; they probably just think that I am a snob. In social settings, I am a complete misfit, but put me in front of a classroom or conference room and I shine. It is strange, I know, but that is me. Perhaps we will dissect that in a different post).

It has been interesting to see what posts attract followers. It has also been eye opening to figure out that followers also appear with an agenda--for example, some follow hoping to be followed in return to build their own group. This week, a company called CiteBlue "followed" me on Twitter. I wasn't familiar with the company, so I clicked over to their Twitter feed. From there, I was intrigued enough to go on to their website. Turns out, CiteBlue is a new legal citation company. So new in fact, that right now, their website is in beta.

With my 1L Advocacy brief looming, I am always trying to find better ways to seek the cases that will set my argument out from the pack. So, having another option was intriguing. I jumped in and created a free (during beta) account. I must admit that having the option to use my Google account to sign in was convenient (we won't discuss the Big Brother aspects of that decision). The website is attractive with clean lines and bright colors, and it is easy to navigate because it doesn't have any bells and whistles competing for attention. It seems to me that the website is optimized for a mobile platform with the clean lines and simple design. Unfortunately, there was no corresponding app that I could find although a note says it is coming soon.

Jumping in to functionality, a case search brought up several cases. As you can see, I have selected a most appropriate case:
Screenshot of a case on CiteBlue.
The search results screen and case screens are very easy to navigate. Along the "case timeline", there are bubbles linking to "Authorities cited" and "Cited by." The case itself include hyperlinks to the citation cases. A button allows you to create a "Project" which seems to be similar to a "Folder" on other sites. Another link titled "Bibliographies" at the top of the page takes you to a page to "Create a Project"--it will be interesting to see their expected usage. I wasn't able to find a help section or any tutorials, but I am guessing that they will show up soon. I always find it helpful to find out how developers think their product should be used. I don't always follow their suggestions, but I at least start there. All in all, the site was easy to navigate. I expect the main attraction will be for users on mobile platforms though.
As of this morning, there is no information on the website about the company or how much they plan to charge in the future. The twitter account says it was opened in 2015, and the twitter handle @citeblueapp seems to confirm that they are aiming for a mobile audience. It will be interesting to see where this goes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can we Talk about Packaging?

     Today, many people (myself included) use ancient chain maille armor techniques to create jewelry. Basically, artisans take small rings made of wire and weave them together in intricate designs. In this way, the ancient weaves are re-imagined for a modern audience. Samples of my work Zili Kit      Although some people take raw wire and create their own rings, many rely on retailers for their needs. From that need, a growing cottage industry has sprung up to supply makers with kits that include all of the rings and instructions for a design. Most of these businesses use very simple packaging for their products. Zipper seal bags with simple printed labels are very common. HyperLynks kit      For companies that are a little larger, heat seal plastic tubing becomes the most common form of packaging. There is one operation that packages per order so that the rings come in a long, unlabeled, sausage-like strip of tubing with a heat seal between each type of ring. Customers

Queen of the Dairy

Did you know that the Dairy Queen Blizzard turned 25 last year?  I remember when the Blizzard was introduced which makes me officially...old.  Anyway, there was no Dairy Queen in the town where I grew up but there was one where my great grandfather lived.  Do you remember when a trip longer than 15 minutes lasted fuh evah?  When I was little, the 65 minute drive to my great grandfather's small town felt like an eternity.  Maybe it felt so long  because  I was hoping for that extremely rare occurrence of a stop at the Dairy Queen.  My parents were teachers  and the budget was always tight, but occasionally we would stop at DQ and we could get a small cone.  We never got to choose--it was always just that small vanilla cone, but it was a treat nonetheless. Once I was able to drive and had a job, those stops at DQ were almost mandatory when I ventured on my own to my grandparents house.  I probably tried something different each time--a Peanut Buster Parfait, this time, a Mr. Misty,

Ferret Friday #5-Rice box

Ferrets are curious creatures that need a variety of toys and activities.    Our ferret loves to dig, and one of his favorite activities is digging in a plastic tub filled with rice.  We make sure it is not available at all times so that it remains a special treat. As much as he loves the rice, if given a choice, he would choose to dig in the dirt of my ficus or citrus tree.  He also loves to "tunnel" under the covers of our bed.  He is not normally a biter, but for some reason, he will bite any toes under sheets.  My theory is that since ferrets are tunnelers and are carnivorous, then he must have some instinct to eat what he finds while tunneling.  Maybe the toes are "earthworms" to him. When my kids were small, they also loved to play in their rice box.  Their rice was multi-colored though. We have added a few PVC pipes (we smoothed all rough edges with sandpaper).  Occasionally, we add some cardboard mailing tubes as well.