Skip to main content

2013 CryWolf® Users Conference

I'm sure that most readers understand by now that I spend a lot of time using CryWolf® to do my job. Without this tool, my job would be infinitely more time consuming and a lot more difficult. I am always thrilled to learn how I can use CryWolf® to be more efficient--especially when I don't have to teach myself how to do it. Needless to say, the annual CryWolf® users conference has become one of the highlights of the year for me. I truly appreciate that Public Safety Corporation (PSC) has chosen to have this training in conjunction with the False Alarm Reduction Association's (FARA) annual symposium. I have met individuals from several jurisdictions that are introduced to FARA because of this scheduling choice. It also allows jurisdictions to gain more value for the money.
But enough about that, I know that you are reading to find out what is new and exciting in the world of CryWolf®. PSC announced last year that a new client section of their website would allow interaction between users through file sharing. That plan has come to fruition with their new website at cry wolf.us. The new client section includes a knowledge base, a link to CryWolf® University, the most recent version of CryWolf® to download, and a file sharing section. I think that these will be great resources for all of us. The knowledge base will contain the most up to date help files which will be a great resource, but I am more excited to check out the file sharing sharing page. Here, users will be able to upload forms, reports, and more that we have developed. The more that we users add to this, the more helpful it will become for everyone.
As mentioned last year, PSC is sticking with the plan to officially release new versions twice a year (January and July). However, they are continually making changes and updating things. If you like to have the most up to date version as soon as it becomes available, the new download section will be helpful to you. I personally prefer the option that checks for updates every time I log in to CryWolf® and notifies me with a message right on the toolbar. Many agencies block this feature, and even I must have our department IT coordinator actually do the install of the update when one is available.
Along with these big things, there were lots of fun features announced:

  • ability to send letters to multiple e-mail addresses
  • ability to drag and drop files to alarm company form
  • ability to search the related names fields
  • alarm processing form shows alarmed location and responsible party phone numbers
PSC has also been pursuing other avenues for department's to utilize the information stored in CryWolf®. Last year, the new Android app for officers on the street was introduced. this year, a LAN version for dispatch and an MDC applet were introduced. Also, the citizen facing pages will continue to be tweaked.
PSC is always so generous and this year was no exception. Each attendee was given a "survival kit" with items such as tissues, candy, hand sanitizer, and a mouse pad all packaged in a tote bag that converts to a backpack.  The dinner following the conference was yummy and allowed users to network and share.
All in all, it was a great afternoon and evening and worth every minute. As I try out the new features, I will be sharing with you. If you weren't able to attend, start planting the seeds now for next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lexington KY False Alarms

Our travels last week took us through Kentucky.  Of course I had to peruse the web to see what is going on in the world of false alarm reduction in the bluegrass state.  Of the cities that we would be visiting, Lexington was the first that I found with a false alarm reduction unit.

Alarm systems in Lexington must be registered and there is an application fee of $15, which seems to be a one time fee. (Update: the $15 fee is an annual fee). Lexington's ordinance is similar to most other ordinances, but it has a feature that I have not seen before.  The fine schedule lists minimum and maximum fines.  If an alarm user doesn't contest the alarm, they pay the minimum fine.  If they contest the fine and lose, they could end up paying the maximum fine. Fines begin at the fourth alarm with a $25 minimum fine and go up to a $300 minimum fine for the 9th alarm (maximum fine is $500).  These fines are relatively low compared to fines in the area where I live;  however, the 10th alarm in L…

Coal mine

I have always been drawn to the strange and unusual, especially when it involves venturing off the highway onto back roads with the promise of an adventure.  On the way back from Youngest's college orientation, we found ourselves in Beckley, West Virginia at a McDonald's.  This was not our first choice, but sometimes you have to take what you can get.  While we were enjoying our fine dining experience, my eyes were drawn to this sign that was just visible from where we were sitting.  When we finished eating, I couldn't leave without a photo.  To my astonishment, Hubster asked if I wanted to visit the exhibit.  After I picked my jaw off the floor of the car, I responded "sure".
With no more than that arrow pointing the way, we set off into the wilds of West Virginia.  Youngest swore he heard the sound of banjos.  After several miles of twists and turns,  I was beginning to think that we had missed a sign.To my relief, a sign appeared letting us know that we had ar…

New Technology-QR Code

We are going to venture away from CryWolf® today to discuss other technology that can assist in the mission of reducing false alarms.  One emerging technology that can be harnessed by alarm units is the QR code. As an example, the QR code below includes the web address for this blog.
A QR code is a form of bar code similar to a UPC code but with the ability to hold greater amounts of data. These codes were developed by an auto manufacturer in Japan to help them track parts.  Although the company holds the patent rights, they have chosen to not exercise those rights. This allows free use of the technology.
QR codes may be formatted to hold all manner of information such as phone numbers, e-mail addresses, gps data, or a web address. QR codes can easily be added to business cards, brochures, and other printed materials.  Many Home Owner Associations in our area allow us a small space in their publications and QR codes are perfect for this space.  The codes can even be included on facebo…