Skip to main content

2013 CryWolf® Users Conference

I'm sure that most readers understand by now that I spend a lot of time using CryWolf® to do my job. Without this tool, my job would be infinitely more time consuming and a lot more difficult. I am always thrilled to learn how I can use CryWolf® to be more efficient--especially when I don't have to teach myself how to do it. Needless to say, the annual CryWolf® users conference has become one of the highlights of the year for me. I truly appreciate that Public Safety Corporation (PSC) has chosen to have this training in conjunction with the False Alarm Reduction Association's (FARA) annual symposium. I have met individuals from several jurisdictions that are introduced to FARA because of this scheduling choice. It also allows jurisdictions to gain more value for the money.
But enough about that, I know that you are reading to find out what is new and exciting in the world of CryWolf®. PSC announced last year that a new client section of their website would allow interaction between users through file sharing. That plan has come to fruition with their new website at cry wolf.us. The new client section includes a knowledge base, a link to CryWolf® University, the most recent version of CryWolf® to download, and a file sharing section. I think that these will be great resources for all of us. The knowledge base will contain the most up to date help files which will be a great resource, but I am more excited to check out the file sharing sharing page. Here, users will be able to upload forms, reports, and more that we have developed. The more that we users add to this, the more helpful it will become for everyone.
As mentioned last year, PSC is sticking with the plan to officially release new versions twice a year (January and July). However, they are continually making changes and updating things. If you like to have the most up to date version as soon as it becomes available, the new download section will be helpful to you. I personally prefer the option that checks for updates every time I log in to CryWolf® and notifies me with a message right on the toolbar. Many agencies block this feature, and even I must have our department IT coordinator actually do the install of the update when one is available.
Along with these big things, there were lots of fun features announced:

  • ability to send letters to multiple e-mail addresses
  • ability to drag and drop files to alarm company form
  • ability to search the related names fields
  • alarm processing form shows alarmed location and responsible party phone numbers
PSC has also been pursuing other avenues for department's to utilize the information stored in CryWolf®. Last year, the new Android app for officers on the street was introduced. this year, a LAN version for dispatch and an MDC applet were introduced. Also, the citizen facing pages will continue to be tweaked.
PSC is always so generous and this year was no exception. Each attendee was given a "survival kit" with items such as tissues, candy, hand sanitizer, and a mouse pad all packaged in a tote bag that converts to a backpack.  The dinner following the conference was yummy and allowed users to network and share.
All in all, it was a great afternoon and evening and worth every minute. As I try out the new features, I will be sharing with you. If you weren't able to attend, start planting the seeds now for next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can we Talk about Packaging?

     Today, many people (myself included) use ancient chain maille armor techniques to create jewelry. Basically, artisans take small rings made of wire and weave them together in intricate designs. In this way, the ancient weaves are re-imagined for a modern audience. Samples of my work Zili Kit      Although some people take raw wire and create their own rings, many rely on retailers for their needs. From that need, a growing cottage industry has sprung up to supply makers with kits that include all of the rings and instructions for a design. Most of these businesses use very simple packaging for their products. Zipper seal bags with simple printed labels are very common. HyperLynks kit      For companies that are a little larger, heat seal plastic tubing becomes the most common form of packaging. There is one operation that packages per order so that the rings come in a long, unlabeled, sausage-like strip of tubing with a heat seal between each type of ring. Customers

Queen of the Dairy

Did you know that the Dairy Queen Blizzard turned 25 last year?  I remember when the Blizzard was introduced which makes me officially...old.  Anyway, there was no Dairy Queen in the town where I grew up but there was one where my great grandfather lived.  Do you remember when a trip longer than 15 minutes lasted fuh evah?  When I was little, the 65 minute drive to my great grandfather's small town felt like an eternity.  Maybe it felt so long  because  I was hoping for that extremely rare occurrence of a stop at the Dairy Queen.  My parents were teachers  and the budget was always tight, but occasionally we would stop at DQ and we could get a small cone.  We never got to choose--it was always just that small vanilla cone, but it was a treat nonetheless. Once I was able to drive and had a job, those stops at DQ were almost mandatory when I ventured on my own to my grandparents house.  I probably tried something different each time--a Peanut Buster Parfait, this time, a Mr. Misty,

Ferret Friday #5-Rice box

Ferrets are curious creatures that need a variety of toys and activities.    Our ferret loves to dig, and one of his favorite activities is digging in a plastic tub filled with rice.  We make sure it is not available at all times so that it remains a special treat. As much as he loves the rice, if given a choice, he would choose to dig in the dirt of my ficus or citrus tree.  He also loves to "tunnel" under the covers of our bed.  He is not normally a biter, but for some reason, he will bite any toes under sheets.  My theory is that since ferrets are tunnelers and are carnivorous, then he must have some instinct to eat what he finds while tunneling.  Maybe the toes are "earthworms" to him. When my kids were small, they also loved to play in their rice box.  Their rice was multi-colored though. We have added a few PVC pipes (we smoothed all rough edges with sandpaper).  Occasionally, we add some cardboard mailing tubes as well.