Skip to main content

Automating Reports


CryWolf® has a lot of great features to make alarm administrators' jobs easier. One of the great features built in to CryWolf® allows jurisdictions to email reports easily to alarm companies.  If you don’t currently use this feature, here is how to start:
From the Reports menu, scroll down to "Alarm Company Related" and then over and down to "PDF creation for eMailing to Alarm companies".  Then over to "Accounts by Alarm Company".


In the "Accounts by Alarm Company" pop up, use the pull down menus to control the information that the report will include.  For my office, our weekly reports are meant to inform the alarm company of any new permit numbers that were issued that week, so we select the alarm company type  and the date that the account was created.  We then choose the dates that we want the report to cover. CryWolf® also allows you to click the Email Reports box option to send the reports electronically to all alarm companies with an email address on file.  The Text pull down menu allows you to select what letter you want to appear in the body of the email.  (The letter has to be available in the Letters section of Maintenance).  
For 6 months, I have been trying to use this feature to send the reports, but I could not get CryWolf® to display our list of letters in the Text box pull down menu.  It was driving me absolutely bonkers. 
In my defense, my unit processes alarms for several other jurisdictions besides our own.  This means that in the Agency pull down menu, several agency names appear along with the choices “All” and “Default”.  (For some tasks, all of the agencies use the same settings so the "All" choice helps minimize the information that must be set up in the rules of CryWolf®. The "Default" choice is used for settings that apply to all jurisdictions). Because CryWolf® sorts pull down menus alphabetically, “All” always appears in our Agency box.  (If you only process alarms for one jurisdiction, the agency that appears is most likely “Default”).  All these months of growing frustration were caused because  I should have been changing the Agency to “Default”.  If I had done so, my list of letters would have been available to me the first time I tried to send this report by e-mail 6 months ago.
I have to give a shout out to our fantastic CryWolf® rep who very patiently pointed this mistake out to me this week.  I figure that I am not the only one who ever makes these blunders, so I am sacrificing my pride so that you don’t make the same mistake.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can we Talk about Packaging?

     Today, many people (myself included) use ancient chain maille armor techniques to create jewelry. Basically, artisans take small rings made of wire and weave them together in intricate designs. In this way, the ancient weaves are re-imagined for a modern audience. Samples of my work Zili Kit      Although some people take raw wire and create their own rings, many rely on retailers for their needs. From that need, a growing cottage industry has sprung up to supply makers with kits that include all of the rings and instructions for a design. Most of these businesses use very simple packaging for their products. Zipper seal bags with simple printed labels are very common. HyperLynks kit      For companies that are a little larger, heat seal plastic tubing becomes the most common form of packaging. There is one operation that packages per order so that the rings come in a long, unlabeled, sausage-like strip of tubing with a heat seal between each type of ring. Customers

Ferret Friday #5-Rice box

Ferrets are curious creatures that need a variety of toys and activities.    Our ferret loves to dig, and one of his favorite activities is digging in a plastic tub filled with rice.  We make sure it is not available at all times so that it remains a special treat. As much as he loves the rice, if given a choice, he would choose to dig in the dirt of my ficus or citrus tree.  He also loves to "tunnel" under the covers of our bed.  He is not normally a biter, but for some reason, he will bite any toes under sheets.  My theory is that since ferrets are tunnelers and are carnivorous, then he must have some instinct to eat what he finds while tunneling.  Maybe the toes are "earthworms" to him. When my kids were small, they also loved to play in their rice box.  Their rice was multi-colored though. We have added a few PVC pipes (we smoothed all rough edges with sandpaper).  Occasionally, we add some cardboard mailing tubes as well.

Queen of the Dairy

Did you know that the Dairy Queen Blizzard turned 25 last year?  I remember when the Blizzard was introduced which makes me officially...old.  Anyway, there was no Dairy Queen in the town where I grew up but there was one where my great grandfather lived.  Do you remember when a trip longer than 15 minutes lasted fuh evah?  When I was little, the 65 minute drive to my great grandfather's small town felt like an eternity.  Maybe it felt so long  because  I was hoping for that extremely rare occurrence of a stop at the Dairy Queen.  My parents were teachers  and the budget was always tight, but occasionally we would stop at DQ and we could get a small cone.  We never got to choose--it was always just that small vanilla cone, but it was a treat nonetheless. Once I was able to drive and had a job, those stops at DQ were almost mandatory when I ventured on my own to my grandparents house.  I probably tried something different each time--a Peanut Buster Parfait, this time, a Mr. Misty,