Skip to main content

Water Ice

This past weekend, we were in Philadelphia for a triathlon. As we drove through Philadelphia, we saw signs and ice cream trucks advertising water ice.  Of course, we aren't above amusing ourselves by poking fun at things that strike us as unusual, and something called water ice certainly falls into that category.  Now,  I don't know what they make ice out of normally in Philadelphia, but everywhere I have lived, water seems to be the main ingredient.  What ran through your head when you read the title for this post?
Anyway, I felt guilty later about poking fun so I decided to do a little research.  My research shows that water ice is Philly-ese for Italian ice.  Having never been to Italy, that didn't shed a lot of light on the subject for me.  More research turns up that it is not water at all but fruit juices or fruit puree frozen in a similar fashion to ice cream.  By composition, it more closely resembles sherbet but is made without any dairy ingredients. I had been thinking that maybe it was similar to a sno-cone (crushed ice with a flavored syrup poured over the top) so this was surprising.  Interestingly enough, CNN recently featured a story on frozen treats so check that out to get the "scoop"so to speak on other frozen treats.

All that the research really did for me was make me want to try water ice for myself.  I convinced the Hubster and we ventured forth. Jack, the concierge  at the Crowne Plaza--Philadelphia West who has never steered us wrong, recommended Rita's water ice and gave  us an approximate location.  He personally favored some locations downtown, but he knew that we didn't want to go too far.
Of course, being in an unfamiliar city with no real location to shoot for, we never found the Rita's store that day.  However,  we did find Daddy's Water Ice.   In past lives, I would never have even dreamed of stopping at Daddy's, but we have become fans of the show Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives and have visited many places that we would have locked the doors and sped past before.  Daddy's was located in an old house that had seen better days a long time ago.  The house was painted bright yellow and the door was covered with security bars. Of course, we saw the store as we drove past since the sign was on the front of the building.  Hubster screeched to the curb in a bus lane and I ran to make the purchase before a bus or the PPA arrived.  I was so flustered by the need for speed that I failed to take pictures of the store.  Looking back, I'm not sure the store was even open for business yet. When I opened the door, I think they all about had a heart attack.  "Use the window" was screeched repeatedly as I backed out and obediently went to the front window.  I guess they haven't learned that the first rule of home safety is "lock the darn door". Once they had recovered from the home invasion, they opened the window and I ordered two medium water ices--one cherry and the other pineapple.  For $4.50, I think it wasn't too bad.

The treat was obviously scooped like ice cream (obvious if you look at the cherry flavor above, the pineapple had already had a few licks so the scoop lines aren't as visible), but the texture is way different than ice cream.  The closest thing that I can think of is an extremely thick Slurpee.  There was definitely a crystalline quality  like a Slurpee, but it was much thicker.  Even though there was a crystalline feel, it was also very smooth.  (Yes, I know that is a contradiction, but if you can describe it better please do).  The water ice was refreshing and light, and the flavors were intense. The colors were too.  I imagine many white t-shirts have been permanently stained by errant drips.  On a really hot day, I can imagine that a water ice would be even more welcome--kind of like a popsicle on steroids.  If you drink a Slurpee too fast, you can get a brain freeze.  Water ice would likely cause a permafrost.

If you are concerned about the carcinogenic properties of food coloring, then water ice may not be a good choice for you.  There was a lot of food coloring.  I will spare you pictures, but the Hubster looked like he was wearing lipstick by the time he finished his cherry water ice.  There may have been natural fruit flavors in our treats, but we are both sure that there was some artificial flavors as well.  I am not saying that is bad, just giving our assessment. Overall, we enjoyed the treats and would definitely go back next time we are in town.


On the way out of town, we spotted the Rita's store that we had missed a few days before. Of course, we had to try their version for "research" purposes.    The bright red, white, and green color scheme  was very welcoming and much more polished than Daddy's store front.  Before our fascination with Triple D, I imagine that it might have coaxed us to give Rita's a try.  I tried the Florida Orange in a large size and Hubs had the child size Green Apple.  We both felt that the flavor was less intense in Rita's water ice.  Now we do acknowledge that this could mean that the flavors were actually real and not artificial, but neither of us is opposed to a little fake flavoring if it tastes good.  The crystals were larger in both of these flavors so it was less smooth--my orange had outright chunks of ice as well which made it less enjoyable.  There was certainly less food coloring in Rita's concoctions, but still plenty enough to make a mother cringe and run for the Shout though. Although Rita's is a well-known company and certainly more mainstream than Daddy's, we both felt that Daddy's was the hands down winner in the flavor department.  We both agreed that if Rita's had been our first taste of water ice, we may not have sought out another spot to enjoy the treat.  We are willing to give it another try for research though as we can't discount the possibility that our flavor choices may have something to do with the outcome.
Not only does Philadelphia have their own version of Italian ice, it turns out they have their own ice cream too.  I guess that will be my project for next year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can we Talk about Packaging?

     Today, many people (myself included) use ancient chain maille armor techniques to create jewelry. Basically, artisans take small rings made of wire and weave them together in intricate designs. In this way, the ancient weaves are re-imagined for a modern audience. Samples of my work Zili Kit      Although some people take raw wire and create their own rings, many rely on retailers for their needs. From that need, a growing cottage industry has sprung up to supply makers with kits that include all of the rings and instructions for a design. Most of these businesses use very simple packaging for their products. Zipper seal bags with simple printed labels are very common. HyperLynks kit      For companies that are a little larger, heat seal plastic tubing becomes the most common form of packaging. There is one operation that packages per order so that the rings come in a long, unlabeled, sausage-like strip of tubing with a heat seal between each type of ring. Customers

Ferret Friday #5-Rice box

Ferrets are curious creatures that need a variety of toys and activities.    Our ferret loves to dig, and one of his favorite activities is digging in a plastic tub filled with rice.  We make sure it is not available at all times so that it remains a special treat. As much as he loves the rice, if given a choice, he would choose to dig in the dirt of my ficus or citrus tree.  He also loves to "tunnel" under the covers of our bed.  He is not normally a biter, but for some reason, he will bite any toes under sheets.  My theory is that since ferrets are tunnelers and are carnivorous, then he must have some instinct to eat what he finds while tunneling.  Maybe the toes are "earthworms" to him. When my kids were small, they also loved to play in their rice box.  Their rice was multi-colored though. We have added a few PVC pipes (we smoothed all rough edges with sandpaper).  Occasionally, we add some cardboard mailing tubes as well.

Queen of the Dairy

Did you know that the Dairy Queen Blizzard turned 25 last year?  I remember when the Blizzard was introduced which makes me officially...old.  Anyway, there was no Dairy Queen in the town where I grew up but there was one where my great grandfather lived.  Do you remember when a trip longer than 15 minutes lasted fuh evah?  When I was little, the 65 minute drive to my great grandfather's small town felt like an eternity.  Maybe it felt so long  because  I was hoping for that extremely rare occurrence of a stop at the Dairy Queen.  My parents were teachers  and the budget was always tight, but occasionally we would stop at DQ and we could get a small cone.  We never got to choose--it was always just that small vanilla cone, but it was a treat nonetheless. Once I was able to drive and had a job, those stops at DQ were almost mandatory when I ventured on my own to my grandparents house.  I probably tried something different each time--a Peanut Buster Parfait, this time, a Mr. Misty,